Better Living through Landscape Design
Visit our Design Office at our 9000 Division St. location
Now that Fall has arrived, guests continually comment on the beautiful colors and variety of texture that they all enjoy so much. It's so nice to have bright gold, red and orange colors giving some sparks of cheer to a gray day. And, the birds seem to be loving it as well as there are more around than ever before, including lots of humming birds, juncos, chickadees and towhees that are still hanging around.
Thanks for sharing your talents and helping us make our back yard a beautiful and peaceful place. -- Ken & Sue Newcomb
Let our plant knowledge and gardening experience make your next landscape project easier.
A design will help make your garden a success
by taking the guesswork out of plant selection & placement.
By getting a little dirty, you can save big!
Our fees are based solely on your project size.
Have us deliver all your plants in one delivery
or shop on your own at either of our locations.
|Size||Consultation /Design Fee||Minimum Plant Purchase||Total|
|0-100 sq. ft.||$100||$150||$250|
|101-300 sq. ft.||$150||$300||$450|
|301-500 sq. ft.||$200||$500||$700|
|501-1000 sq. ft.||$250||$600||$850|
|1001+ ($50 for each additional 100 sq. ft. Over 1,000 sq. ft.)||$250+||$600+||$850+|
NOTE: Customers may incur a re-design fee for consultation & design help needed due to inaccurate site measurements or site changes.
We’re putting in the next chunk of our planting plan and I cannot tell you how amazed we are with the selections you made! It’s like a puzzle that is coming together slowly, and I’m so happy with the work you did. I feel like I’m looking out at a little paradise you created with us in mind. When I see folks stop and look, I grin and clutch my coffee mug triumphantly — and we are now an officially certified wildlife habitat! -- Prairie and David
Let's get started...
Print and fill out the Landscape Questionnaire.
Be sure to get input from everyone who will live with the garden!
The more information you bring to the table the better
your design will suit your needs.
- Start by sketching out the project space to create a base map. Draw in buildings, paths, landscape materials to keep and site boundaries.
- Your base map does not need to be to scale, but if you use graph paper & wish it to be to scale, have one square = 1’. Write in all measurements if not drawn to scale.
- Measure structures and plants you wish to keep, utility boxes, hose spigots, and windows, noting their sill height from the ground.
- Mark areas that are particularly soggy, dry, sunny, shady, or have poor soil conditions. Indicate views to keep and those to block.
- Customers may incur a re-design fee for consultation & design help needed due to inaccurate site measurements or site changes.
- Firmly plant your feet and rotate while taking pictures.
- Once printed, tape the photos together to create a panoramic image.
- Take several photos from various angles, close - up, and from a distance to help orient us with your yard. Label your photos.
- Take photos of views you’ll see most, from inside and outside the house. Photograph plants you’d like identified or would like to keep.
- Call 503-788-9000 ext. 201 to set up a consultation appointment.
- Consultations are by appointment only and typically last 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- We prefer to have all adult family members present at the consultation.
- Our office is at our Division St location: 9000 SE Division St. 97266
- Typical turn-around-time is 1-3 weeks depending on the season. Please call 503-788-9000 ext 201 for current turn-around-time for a finished design.
- Bring your site-measurements and photos.
- We'll sit down and review your project and calculate your project size.
- Our design service fees are based solely on your project size.
- Pay your design fee at the end of the consultation.
- Our designer will use your site measurements and photographs to create your design.
- Our design focus is on plant composition.
- We may suggest hardscapes but we do not design or create construction drawings for things as decks, water features, paths, patios, etc.
- Portland Nursery does not install or maintain gardens, however for an additional fee, we can plant your containers purchased from the nursery.
- Our designs are hand drafted to scale and are accompanied by a plant list to assist in shopping.
- The planting plans show you what to plant where to best achieve your desired look.
- We’ll book a return appointment to share your finished garden.
- We’ll take time to describe your future garden and send you home confident to take on the next steps!
- At the end of this appointment, you’ll make your minimum plant purchase in the form of a gift card.
- Gift cards never expire and can be used like cash at our two locations.
Thanks so much for your input and your great plan! I never would have been able to conceptualize it for myself, and your greater knowledge of plants is really invaluable. I have learned a lot doing the plant buying and planting myself, and it has been so much fun. Now my "cozy" back area looks great and is really useable instead of being an ugly weed plantation.” -- Elizabeth Milliken
A Pacific Northwest native, Terrie holds a degree in Landscape Technology and is a certified landscape designer. She has a knack for finding landscape solutions that are both practical and beautiful, and is especially fond of a style she calls ‘Northwest Eclectic’, a designed mixture of wildlife friendly, ornamental, and edible plants with strong four-season interest.
Landscape Design Office:
Portland Nursery on Division
9000 SE Division
Portland, OR 97266
503.788.9000 x 201